Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 1 - Review

I hate reviews when I'm aware that I haven't put as much practice as I would like to. Quick update on the weekend:

Day 6 Sat - Follow RULE1, - begin with diagnostic verbal, I will be doozy but I will have to try. Complete as much of it as I can.  ~~ Nope, woke up at 8am, stayed up until 1:30am on friday night at a friends place, sat down to review Math, with beatthegmat.com error log.
Keep myself in the bedroom or come to office to avoid the football mania in living room. ~~ Yes! but I was so passive in my review that it took me a good 4 hours!! to review the 48 questions of diagnostic math. I discovered that of the 20 questions I went wrong, I could have easily gotten 10 right if only I was more alert :(.

Begin prep for a dinner party of 6,  by 3PM, finish up by 7 or 8pm, wind up the party by 1 or 2 at max, but must wake up at 7 atleast the next day. ~~ began the prep at 4pm, it was 8 when friends arrived and they left at 1am. Was dog tired and woke up at 10:30 the next day :(

Future Day 7 Sun - [ONE CHALLENGING DAY!] RULE1 exempted due to party on previous night. But get to library by 8am, Take GMATprep test. ~~ Got to the library at 12:30PM!

[Right from AWA and attempt all sections. No excuses allowed. I know I will be feeling lethargic,sleepy, wanting to treat myself to the warmth of the bed but NO, I got to take the test at 8AM, as it will be the same on Nov 29th. ] ~~ No amount of self talk seems to motivate me, feels like I just waste time trying to correct myself.

[Get back home (IGNORE THE HUBBY and THE FOOTBALL on TV), eat, gym and sit back for test result analysis, record results on the grid and revise notes. Work on OG and get diagnostic test and reult analysis done by night. If the plan is accomplished successfully then steal a late night dessert with the hubby (Sigh!)] ~~ This one totally went haywire, got back from the library at 4:30pm, had to get ready for a dinner at 7 and it was late by the time we got back home :( Its getting tougher and tougher to cut myself out of these get together's I worry about coming under someones judgment by declaring myself committed to GMAT and still scoring  dismally on the test despite all the drama I put up.

How did I do on the test? BAD! same score as last time 570 -  the only teeny tiny plus point is, I got 20/29 questions right, when I ran out of time and had to just mark answers for the remaining questions to complete math section on time. All of those 8 were wrong. On review, I realized that the 9 questions I went wrong in the earlier part of the test were the my time killers, I remember trying to solve those questions so hard during the test that I must have easily wasted a good 3 minutes on it and I still got it wrong. And of the 9 questions, I wasted my time and was wrong, 7 of them are DS, and of the 8 that I marked hastily, 7 of them were DS as well. So yes, my status on DS still remains as 'I suck at DS'. Scaled score on math was 45/60. I got to pace myself properly to push the score up and also practice more of inequalities in the form of DS to overcome spending too much time in evaluation.
 As for Verbal - Terribly Bad! worse than first time! - Most of my RC's went wrong, in spite of using kaplan strategies. My attempts at trying to find the gist of the passage seem to go wrong most of the time, I get lost in all the mumble jumble that goes on in the passage and get carried away by the transitional words and end up deriving an explanation all on my own logic which finally ends up being wrong. My sentence correction is equally dismal. Of the 17 questions I went wrong in verbal, 7 are SC's, 6 are RC's, 4 are CR's. Man, SC's are so damn confusing! I should get around to that SC chapter of Kaplan and revise some of the strategies there. The 5 answer choices for SC's exist only to confuse me more. Given that I'm a non native english speaker, I have to iterate a sentence multiple times to accurately asses the correctness of the each and every answer choice present. My scaled score in verbal was 23/60. Boohoo.

Finally, I wasn't able to complete verbal diagnostic test and Kaplan sentence correction. I'm eager to get the OG done but I don't find myself going anywhere with it. Honestly - it is driving me insane... Must balance work, life and gmat better.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, didn't realize you were just south of the border ;)

    I hear you on the lack of study time. You know what, don't stress to much about it. Do what you can, and make sure you get something in every day, even if it's just 30 min. It's better than nothing. I speak from experience (sigh). lol

    Most of all - chin up - Rome wasn't built in a day and neither way the GMAT conquering. But its' a doable task :)

    ReplyDelete